Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Part II

Well he made it through the first night, and the one after that and the one after that. Two weeks after the accident they removed his breathing tube and took him off the ventilator and breathed well on his own, he was still holding on. All while he was still unconcious.

Around 3 1/2 weeks he started opening his eyes briefly. This was scary as he was so emotionless, it was like there was nobody there and his gaze would pierce through you. As the days went on his eyes would stay open longer and he would be able to focus more. When asked to squeeze your hand he sometimes would, with his left side. This was so huge to us, but we were told to not get excited. Still I had a feeling he would come out of this. At this time he was no longer considered critical and was moved out of the neuro ICU.

He spent the next 2 weeks in the neuro until waiting for a transfer to PEI, back home. As the days went on he would seem to respond to us more he would even give Liam high fives. Although he never let the nurses see this. He was still considered unawake but when I would bring Liam into his room he would put up his hand to high five Liam.

5 1/2 weeks after the accident he was transferred home to the hospital here. We were so excited, he was going to be starting therapy and hoping his recovery would speed up, only we received horrible news.

The doctor here told us the prognosis he received from the doctor in Moncton. He said Jonathan was unresponsive and likely would never come out of this and if he did he would likely have many many problems like never being able to speak or use his right side. This was so devastating to hear, and I didn't believe it. I kept telling my mom over and over he would be okay, He was going to make a full recovery. God saved him for a reason and it wasn't to lay in a bed unresponsive for the rest of his life.
And how was he unresponsive anyway? He would play checkers with us, and win! and he would write on his white board, although it was messy and hard to read but it was with his left hand.

We prayed so hard over those 5 1/2 weeks but even harder when this prognosis came. We knew this wasn't the end and something big was going to happen. On that day I was sent the verse

Have you never heard?
Have you never understood?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of all the earth.
He never grows weak or weary.
No one can measure the depths of his understanding.
He gives power to the weak
and strength to the powerless.
Even youths will become weak and tired,
and young men will fall in exhaustion.
But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength.
They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
They will walk and not faint."

Isaiah 40:28-31

This was not a coincidence.

For exactly one week later Jonathan spoke, and not just a word here and there but full sentences. How is that even possible, here we were told he would likely never speak and he spoke. We were told when TBI patients are able to speak again it is a word here and there and he is speaking full sentences. When I went home and checked my email this was the verse of the day:

'But forget all that—
it is nothing compared to what I am going to do.
For I am about to do something new.
See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?
I will make a pathway through the wilderness.
I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.
The wild animals in the fields will thank me,
the jackals and owls, too,
for giving them water in the desert.
Yes, I will make rivers in the dry wasteland
so my chosen people can be refreshed.
I have made Israel for myself,
and they will someday honor me before the whole world.
But, dear family of Jacob, you refuse to ask for my help.
You have grown tired of me, O Israel!'"

Isaiah 40:18-22.

So There we have it, God is doing big things in Jonathan.

It has now been 8 weeks since his accident and he is talking and starting to be able to move his toes and ankles on his right side, hopefully this is a sign that he will regain movement altogether on that side.

My brother is a trooper, he shouldn't have survived a crash like this and really had a poor prognosis upon surviving but all he has accomplished has been God's plan for him. God doesn't make mistakes, and while we have no idea why this has happened to Jonathan or our family is has for a reason. We may never, in this lifetime, know the reason but nevertheless there is one.

5 comments:

Stacia said...

Wow. Your brother is truly resilient. As a PT, I've worked with my fair share of patients with TBI...many of them have similar prognoses and either stay to true to that or prove people wrong and exceed all expectations. It will be a long road for him, you, and your family, but if he's done this well so far, who knows what lies ahead? My thoughts are with you all.

*Mandy* said...

Thanks!! He truly is amazing and I am so proud of him.

Anonymous said...

Continued prayers for your family and your brother.

Kaylin said...

Wow. Mandy, I am so incredibly sorry to read about your brother's accident, but so thankful that after all the heartbreaking news from the doctor's, he is proving them wrong. I will continue to pray that he continues his progress.

Joy said...

I have been praying and hoping for good news for you brother, Mandy, and I am so happy to hear of his positive progress. Persistent faith and a strong will can make all the difference with this kind of diagnoses, and I thank God that Jonathan has such a wonderful family. ::hugs:: Thank you for sharing Jonathan's story and his progress, and your own personal battle with this. I know how hard it is, and I will continue to pray for you all. ::Giant Hugs::